Poggio Salvi

About the Producer: 
Poggio Salvi takes its name from the favourable side of the Montalcino hilltop tending towards the Tirrenian Sea. Folks from the Maremma region have been always attracted up here by the clean air and the scents coming from the woods and Mediterranean scrublands. In the historical archives kept by the township of Montalcino this place was already known around 1500 for wines that enriched the tables of famous people. Struck by the landscape's beauty, in 1979 Mr. Pierluigi Tagliabue purchases the property and starts restructuring the estate. Nowadays Poggio Salvi has 23 hectares of property vineyards, all founded with clones of Sangiovese Grosso of Montalcino. The excellent setting, with average altitude ranging from 300 to 500 metres above sea level (1,040 – 1,800 feet), the soil's richness in marl and the light breeze blowing up from the Tirrenian Sea keep the land healthy and perfect for the grapevines. Beside the property in Montalcino, the Villa Poggio Salvi winery company owns since 1998 other 20 hectares (about 50 acres) of land in Monteriggioni (Siena), founded with Sangiovese and Merlot grapes, at the estate called "Casavecchia".